Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dinner Disaster

Thomas and I have been dieting for three months now and are always looking for new recipes that are healthy and yummy. Yesterday, I tried a dessert that sounded oh-so-good. It's called "Peanut Butter Apple Crunch" (sounds good, right?) and the best part is you throw it all in the crock pot and let it cook throughout the day. The ingredients are: sliced apples, splenda, peanut butter, oatmeal, and apple pie spice. Delicious for sure, right? Wrong.

It started out smelling and tasting yummy. A few hours into it, I began noticing a smell. A stench, really. Serving time came and it looked, honestly, like vomit. It smelled like cat food. I served it to my mom and Thomas over ice cream. Thomas inhaled it and said, "I just ate it really fast so I wouldn't have to taste it." My mom, however, politely mixed it around in her bowl and then GAGGED! It was really hilarious, actually.

Oh, and before I served dessert I was trying a new "Fried Fish" recipe. It's just a white fish (I used catfish) dipped in a milk powder-lemon pepper-water-salt sauce then rolled in crushed corn flakes and topped with a dollop of butter (promise for us healthy eaters). It was a recipe I got from my aunt who said it was fabulous. And it was, or at least the few bites I managed to save after I burnt the heck out of them in the oven.

Oh well, you win some and lose some. Tomorrow I'm making Turkey Burgers. They're impossible to screw up... at least until now! :/

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I find that often I have really great dinner ideas that turn horrible. I always considered myself a good cook but now that I am a wife and cooking is more important... i kinda suck sometimes :) Thats why we love supportive husbands and others who are good sports even when our meals don't turn out quite as gourmet as we planned.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the big picture of you guys at the top of your blog. It's really cute. Also, good job with the healthy eating thing. Every now and then someone convinces me it's a good idea and I try it for about a week and then the desire fades, but 3 months, way to go!

    ReplyDelete